September 19, 2014 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Sept. 19 Blood Drive
- Sept. 24 WGDE Testing
- Sept. 25 Honors Convocation 2:00pm
- Sept. 30 10th grade health screening
- Oct. 1 RGDE Testing ( late start)
- Oct. 1 Jazz/Orchestra Concert 7:00pm
- Oct. 2 Theatre Parent Meeting 6:00pm
- Oct. 3 Student picture re-takes
- Oct. 6 Choir Concert 7:00pm
- Oct. 11 9-4 p.m. CRAFT FAIR
RGDE Testing Schedule (October 1st)
Testing (90-minute Late Start)
08:15 – 9:45 Testing (90)
00 09:00 – 09:45 (for those not testing)
01 09:55 – 11:00 (65)
03 11:00 – 11:21 1st lunch class (15)
11:21 – 11:51 1st lunch
11:54 – 12:40 1st lunch class (46)
11:06 – 11:46 2nd lunch class (40)
11:46 – 12:16 2nd lunch
12:19 – 12:40 2nd lunch class (21)
11:06 – 12:10 3rd lunch class (64)
12:10 – 12:40 3rd lunch
02 12:46 – 01:51 (65)
04 01:57 – 03:03 (66)
You’ve Been Caught – SOAR – WAY TO GO!!!
- Shelby Mullendore – Prize
- Conrad Cronin – Prize
- SFF would like LSW students to know there is a student-fan bus going to the LSW/Papillion-LaVista football game on Oct. 3 in Papillion. Students need to get a parent signature and pay the $14 fee. This fee includes game admission. The Travel Forms are on the front desk in the office or on the athletic website where you can print from home. Completed Travel Forms and money can be returned to the main office and are due by Tuesday Sept. 30. The bus will depart at 5:15 pm on Oct. 3 and return promptly following the completion of the game. The bus must have at least 52 students in order to go. If there are any questions see Braxton Tonniges, Kyle Pekarek, Mr. Vernon or Miss. Benson.
- Lighthouse is having a movie night Friday, September 19, 014! Please help us spread the word so we can draw in as many kids as possible for a fantastic evening.
- The first Stand For The Silent Meeting is this Friday September 19th at 7:30 a.m. in room B204. All students are welcome. If you cannot attend but are interested in being part of the club, please see Mrs. Bales, Mrs. Shanahan or Mrs. Stopp.
- Come “shop ‘til you drop” at, LSW’s FINE ARTS AND CRAFTS FAIR. Over 80 vendors from across the Heartland will be on hand with various handmade items. LSW's Speech and Debate teams will have delicious homemade goodies and baked goods for sale at our concession stand as well. You can handle ALL of your holiday gift giving needs on one day, in one place! OCTOBER 11, 2014 - 9AM - 4PM. $2 donation at the door.
College visits for September:
- Brown University Tues., Sept. 23rd 9:00 a.m.
- Augustana Wed., Sept. 24th 1:00 p.m.
- Paul Mitchell Fri., Sept. 26th 10:00 a.m.
- Hastings College Mon., Sept. 29th at 9:00 a.m
- Doane College Tues., Sept. 30th 9:00 a.m.
The financial aid staff at Southeast Community College will be hosting a Parent’s Night workshop on all three Southeast Community College campuses. The intent of this workshop is to share information that will help parents and students understand many aspects of financial aid: completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), Expected Family Contribution (EFC) amounts, finding scholarships and grants, and other financial aid information. This workshop would be a great asset to parents and students who are new to the financial aid process, and have questions about how the financial aid process works. The workshop time/locations are:
- September 18, 2014 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Lincoln Campus, Room U104, 106
- Senior pictures for the yearbook are due Friday, October 31st. http://home.lps.org/english/yearbook/
- Announcements/Cap and Gowns- Jostens will be here Oct. 30 & 31st from 11-1pm for seniors to order announcements. Packets will be distributed to students after the senior meeting Oct. 24th. Lincoln Graduation will be here Nov. 4th & 5th form 11-1pm for seniors to order cap and gowns.
- Government and Politics- All seniors are required to take Government and Politics their senior year. Students need to fulfill 20 hours of community service. http://isite.lps.org/dhersh/webextras/gopo/
LUNCH FOR : September 19, 2014
- Whole grain corn puppies
- Sloppy Joe on whole grain bun
- General TSO chicken on brown rice
- Vegt: Veggie Burger on Whole Grain Bun
- Sept. 19 Varsity Girls Golf vs Norfolk @ Norfolk Country Club at 9:00am
- Sept. 19 Varsity Softball @ Halleck Park Papillion – LaVista at 1:00pm
- Sept. 19 Varsity Volleyball Tournament @ LSE at 3:00pm
- Sept. 19 Varsity Football vs Millard North @ Buell Stadium (Millard South) at 7:00pm
- Sept. 20 Varsity Boys Tennis @ Bellevue West High School at 8:00a.m.
- Sept. 20 JV Volleyball Tournament @ Millard West at 8:00a.m.
- Sept. 20 Varsity Volleyball Tournament @ LSE at 8:30a.m.
- Sept. 20 JV Football @ Seacrest at 9:00a.m.
- Sept. 20 Varsity Softball Invitational @ Halleck Park at 9:00a.m.
- Sept. 20 JV LSW Invitational @ Doris Bair Softball at 10:00a.m.
- Sept. 22 Varsity Boys Tennis @ Koch Tennis Center at 8:00a.m.
- Sept. 22 Reserve Boys Tennis @ LSE at 4:00p.m.
- Sept. 22 JV Boys Tennis @ LSW at 4:00p.m.
- Sept. 22 Varsity Cross Country @ Pioneers Park at 5:00p.m.
- Sept. 22 JV Cross Country @ Pioneers Park at 5:00p.m.
- Sept. 23 Varsity/JV Girls Golf LPS Championship @ Mahoney Golf Course at 9:00a.m.
- Sept. 23 Reserve Football vs LNS @ LSW at 5:00 p.m.
- Sept. 23 Varsity Softball vs GI Senior High @ Doris Bair at 5:00p.m. Field 1
- Sept. 23 JV Softball Doubleheader vs GI Senior High @ Doris Bair at 5:00 p.m. Field 2
- Sept. 23 Reserve Softball Doubleheader vs GI SH @ Doris Bair 5:00p.m. Field 3
- Sept. 23 JV Volleyball vs LNE @ LSW at 5:30p.m.
- Sept. 23 Freshman Volleyball vs LNE @ LSW at 5:30p.m.
- Sept. 23 Varsity Volleyball vs LNE @ LSW at 6:30p.m.
- Sept. 23 Reserve Volleyball vs LNE @ LSW at 6:30p.m.
See the Lincoln Southwest Calendar for upcoming sports events http://www.heartlandathleticconference.org/g5-bin/client.cgi
- The first Stand For The Silent Meeting is this Friday September 19th at at 7:30 a.m. in room B204. All students are welcome. If you cannot attend but are interested in being part of the club, please see Mrs. Bales, Mrs. Shanahan or Mrs. Stopp.
- THIS Saturday, September 20 from 9am-1pm is our bi-annual Electronics Recycling Fundraising Drive for the Music Department. If you are holding on to any old electronics that you want to throw away, bring them to the recycle drive instead! We are going green!
- Anything that uses (or once used) electricity can be recycled! This includes battery operated items as well! The company we use is called "Secure Recyclers" so you can bring your old computers or laptops without worrying about your files or electronic information.
- Great Books for Great Kids! On Tuesday, September 16, Runza will host their 12th annual contribution to our bookshelves. Runza will donate 15 percent of their profits to the LPS foundation for the purchase of books. So make it a Runza night on September 16.
- Blood Drive is Sept. 19th in the wrestling room, must 17 to donate, weigh 115 pounds, eat well before donating, drink plenty of fluids before and after, and have a consent form signed. See the main office if you need a form.
- Attention Friendship Club members: our first meeting will be Thursday September 8th during the last half of 4th block. Parent and teacher permission is required to attend. Come to B116 for a permission form.
- Seniors and juniors are encouraged to sign up for such scholarship searches as Scholarship Quest for local, regional and state scholarships as well as national searches. To learn more and to access links, students may access the LSW Counseling Center website at http://wp.lps.org/jlehn2/students/scholarships/.
- Students may sign up in the Counseling Center if they would like to visit with Anders Peterson, Education Quest's College Planning/Financial Aid Specialist. Mr. Peterson will be at LSW on Thursdays, beginning September 4th through April 30th.
- Students who have Free/Reduced Lunch Status may qualify for fee waivers to take the ACT, SAT, register with the NCAA, college admissions applications, free college tuition & much more. To check on eligibility, please visit with your assigned counselor. Visit www.act.org to learn more about the ACT and www.collegeboard.org to review info about the SAT.
- Interested in applying for millions of dollars in scholarships? Visit the LSW Counseling Center's website on scholarship opportunities at http://wp.lps.org/jlehn2/students/scholarship-opportunities/ . Information about such scholarships as the Susan Thompson Buffett, Wendy's Heisman, Prudential Community Spirit Awards, & more are currently posted.
- Students in need of school supplies, food, clothing, etc. are encouraged to visit their counselor or Ms. Clare (LSW School Social Worker). Community resources are also available at http://wp.lps.org/jlehn2/students/student-resources/ on the LSW Counseling Center website.
- College-bound student-athletes & their families are encouraged to review information posted on the LSW Counseling Center's website at http://wp.lps.org/jlehn2/academics/student-athletes/.
- Students looking for online academic assistance are encouraged to check out the resources available at http://wp.lps.org/jlehn2/academics/academic-assistance/ on the LSW Counseling Center's website.
- LSW students & families are invited to follow the LSW Counseling Center on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/LSW-Counseling-Center/128219850541557) & Pinterest (http://www.pinterest.com/lswcounselors/).
- Students & families interested in working with Nancy Clare (LSW School Social Worker) and/or Breanna Kaup (Licensed Mental Health Therapist with Family Services at LSW), are encouraged to contact their assigned counselor for more information.