October 2, 2014 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Oct. 2nd Drama Club meeting 3:15 pm in the Aud.
- Oct. 2 Theatre Parent Meeting 7:00pm
- Oct. 3 Student picture re-takes
- Oct. 6 Choir Concert 7:00pm
- Oct. 6 -17 Food Drive
- Oct. 9 Finals
- Oct. 10 Finals
- Oct. 11 Theatre Craft fair
- Oct. 13-14 No School, Fall Break
- Oct. 18 PSAT
- Oct. 21 Freshman and Sophomore meeting 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 21 Girls Golf Banquet 6 p.m.
- Oct. 23 Boys Tennis Banquet 6 p.m.
- Oct. 24 Class Meetings 8:30-11:30 a.m.
- Oct. 25 ACT
- Oct. 27 Softball Banquet, 6 p.m.
- Oct. 29 Frighting hunger
You’ve Been Caught – SOAR – WAY TO GO!!!
- Madison Deriese and Sydnye Rohren– Prize
- Brayden Roberts– 1st in line for Lunch
- Camden Glenn – Premier Parking
- The 2nd Drama Club meeting of the year will take place today at 3:15 in the Auditorium. We will be discussing and handing out registration packets for the Nebraska State Theatre Festival as well as many other important items. All Students are welcome. If you're interested in any aspect of the Performing Arts, this is the club for you!
- Students who received an invitation to come to the Latino Caucus Meeting on Thursday, Oct. 2nd at 7:45 in A203 should know that also at this meeting we will be discussing an opportunity to join this group in attending the Latino Summit that will be an all day event at the Corn Husker Marriott Hotel in downtown Lincoln on Oct. 20. If you want more details please attend either the meeting at 7:45 or right after school in A203. If you cannot attend this meeting and are interested in signing up for this trip please see Mrs. Shanahan ASAP in B208 by Friday, Oct. 3rd.
College visits for September:
- Midland University Thurs., Oct. 2nd 9:00 a.m.
- University of Nebraska Honors Thurs., Oct. 2nd 1:00 p.m.
- Bryan College of Health Sciences Fri., Oct. 3rd 10:00 a.m.
- Nebraska Wesleyan University Tues., Oct. 7th 9:00 a.m.
- University of South Dakota Tues., Oct. 7th 1:00 p.m.
- University of Nebraska Kearney Wed., Oct. 8th 10:00 a.m.
- University of Chicago Fri., Oct. 17th 1:00 p.m.
- Macalester College Mon., Oct. 20th 9:00 a.m.
- University of Wisconsin Mon., Oct. 20th 10:00 a.m.
- Washington University Tues., Oct. 21st 9:00 a.m.
- University of Kansas Tues., Oct. 21st 10:00 a.m.
- University of Iowa Tues., Oct. 21st 1:00 p.m.
- Coe College Wed., Oct. 22nd 9:00 a.m.
- University of Nebraska Omaha Wed., Oct. 22nd 10:00 a.m.
- Buena Vista Mon., Oct. 27th 9:00 a .m.
- Northwest Missouri State University Mon., Oct. 27th 10:00 a.m.
- Wayne State College Tues., Oct. 28th 9:00 a.m.
- Washburn University Tues., Oct. 28th 1:00 p.m.
- Cornell College Wed., Oct. 29th 1:00 p.m.
- Kansas State University Fri., Oct. 31st 9:00 a.m.
- Vanderbilt Fri., Oct. 31st 10:00 a.m.
Workshop for Susan T Buffett scholarship applicants
Tuesday Nov 11th at 2:05 in the B120 lab .
- Senior pictures for the yearbook are due Friday, October 31st. http://home.lps.org/english/yearbook/
- Announcements/Cap and Gowns- Jostens will be here Oct. 30 & 31st from 11-1pm for seniors to order announcements. Packets will be distributed to students after the senior meeting Oct. 24th. Lincoln Graduation will be here Nov. 4th & 5th form 11-1pm for seniors to order cap and gowns.
- Government and Politics- All seniors are required to take Government and Politics their senior year. Students need to fulfill 20 hours of community service.
LUNCH FOR : October 2, 2014
- Creamed turkey & whole wheat roll
Breaded beef sticks with whole wheat roll
BBQ pork sandwich on whole grain bun
Vegetarian: Veggie wrap on whole grain tortilla
- Freshman Football vs LSE @ Seacrest Field at 5:00p.m.
- Varsity Girls Golf @ Mahoney at 9:00a.m.
- Reserve Boys Tennis @ LNE at 4:00p.m.
- Varsity Boys Tennis @ Nebraska Tennis Center at 4:00p.m.
- JV Softball vs Beatrice @ Doris Bair Field D at 5:00p.m.
- Reserve Softball vs Lincoln East @ Doris Bair Field K @ 5:00p.m.
- Freshman Volleyball vs Lincoln East @ Lincoln East High at 5:30p.m.
- JV Volleyball vs Lincoln East @ Lincoln East High at 5:30p.m.
- Varsity Softball vs Beatrice @ Doris Bair Field D at 6:30p.m.
- Reserve Softball vs NStar @ Doris Bair Field K at 6:30p.m.
- Varsity Volleyball vs LEH @ Lincoln East High at 6:30p.m.
- Reserve Volleyball vs LEH @ Lincoln East High at 6:30p.m.
- Varsity Tennis HAC Tennis Championship at Woods Tennis Center at 9:00a.m.
- Varsity and JV Cross Country LPS Championship @Pioneers Park at 5:00p.m.
- Varsity Football @ Papillion LaVista Schools Stadium- Foundation Field at 7:00p.m.
- Varsity Softball @ Millard South
- Reserve Softball @ Doris Bair at 9:00a.m. Fields 1,2,3
- Varsity Girls Golf, District tournament @ Pioneers Golf Course at 9:00 a.m.
- Reserve Boys Tennis vs LSE @ LSW at 4:00p.m.
- JV Football vs Lincoln East @ Seacrest at 4:30p.m.
- JV Softball Doubleheader vs Norris @ Norris at 5:00p.m.
- Freshman Volleyball vs Lincoln Pius X @ Lincoln Pius X at 5:00p.m.
- Reserve and Freshman Volleyball @ Millard West at 4:30p.m.
- JV Volleyball @ Millard West at 5:45 p.m.
- Varsity Volleyball @Millard West at 7:15p.m.
- JV Softball LPS Championship @ Doris Bair at 4p.m.
- JV Boys Tennis vs Lincoln High @ Lincoln High at 4:00p.m.
- Reserve Boys Tennis Dual vs Lincoln High @ LSW at 4:00p.m.
- Varsity Boys Tennis Dual vs Lincoln High @ Wood Tennis Courts at 4:00p.m.
- Reserve Volleyball Triangular @ Bellevue West High at 4:00p.m.
- Freshman Football vs LNS @ Lincoln North Star at 4:30p.m.
- Varsity Softball Tournament
- JV Boys Tennis vs LSE @ LSW at 4:00p.m.
- Varsity Boys Tennis vs LSE @ Woods Tennis Courts at 4:00p.m.
- Varsity and JV Cross Country Heartland Athletic Conference @ Pioneers Park at 4:45p.m.
- Reserve Football vs Omaha Central @ Omaha Central High at 5:00p.m.
- JV and Freshman Volleyball vs Millard North @ LSW at 5:30p.m.
- Varsity and Reserve Volleyball vs Millard North at 6:30p.m.
- The Multicultural Student Caucus meeting has been MOVED to THURSDAY, October 2nd in A113 after school. This group meets the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month. We will be electing officers this Thursday so it is not too late to join! Goals for the 2014-2015 school year are to promote cultural awareness and acceptance of all cultures within the LSW and local communities. Club activities could focus on the celebration and recognition of various holidays and cultures while also volunteering at various local cultural centers. Looking for motivated leaders and members who want to have an active role in this group, while having fun and hanging out with friends! Hope to see you there! Please see Mrs. Kelley if you have any questions.
SFF would like LSW students to know there is a student-fan bus going to the LSW/Papillion-LaVista football game on Oct. 3 in Papillion.
Students need to get a parent signature and pay the $14 fee. This fee includes game admission. The Travel Forms are on the front desk in the office or on the athletic website where you can print from home. Completed Travel Forms and money can be returned to the main office and are due by Tuesday Sept. 30. The bus will depart at 5:15 pm on Oct. 3 and return promptly following the completion of the game. The bus must have at least 52 students in order to go. If there are any questions see Braxton Tonniges, Kyle Pekarek, Mr. Vernon or Miss. Benson.
Seniors and juniors are encouraged to sign up for such scholarship searches as Scholarship Quest for local, regional and state scholarships as well as national searches. To learn more and to access links, students may access the LSW Counseling Center website at http://wp.lps.org/jlehn2/students/scholarships/.
Students may sign up in the Counseling Center if they would like to visit with Anders Peterson, Education Quest's College Planning/Financial Aid Specialist. Mr. Peterson will be at LSW on Thursdays, beginning September 4th through April 30th.
Students who have Free/Reduced Lunch Status may qualify for fee waivers to take the ACT, SAT, register with the NCAA, college admissions applications, free college tuition & much more. To check on eligibility, please visit with your assigned counselor. Visit www.act.org to learn more about the ACT and www.collegeboard.org to review info about the SAT.
Interested in applying for millions of dollars in scholarships? Visit the LSW Counseling Center's website on scholarship opportunities at http://wp.lps.org/jlehn2/students/scholarship-opportunities/ . Information about such scholarships as the Susan Thompson Buffett, Wendy's Heisman, Prudential Community Spirit Awards, & more are currently posted.
Students in need of school supplies, food, clothing, etc. are encouraged to visit their counselor or Ms. Clare (LSW School Social Worker). Community resources are also available at http://wp.lps.org/jlehn2/students/student-resources/ on the LSW Counseling Center website.
College-bound student-athletes & their families are encouraged to review information posted on the LSW Counseling Center's website at http://wp.lps.org/jlehn2/academics/student-athletes/.
Students looking for online academic assistance are encouraged to check out the resources available at http://wp.lps.org/jlehn2/academics/academic-assistance/ on the LSW Counseling Center's website.
LSW students & families are invited to follow the LSW Counseling Center on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/LSW-Counseling-Center/128219850541557) & Pinterest (http://www.pinterest.com/lswcounselors/).
Students & families interested in working with Nancy Clare (LSW School Social Worker) and/or Breanna Kaup (Licensed Mental Health Therapist with Family Services at LSW), are encouraged to contact their assigned counselor for more information.