October 16, 2014 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Oct. 6 -17 Food Drive
- Oct. 18 PSAT
- Oct. 21 Freshmen and Sophomore meeting 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 21 Girls Golf Banquet 6 p.m.
- Oct. 23 Boys Tennis Banquet 6 p.m.
- Oct. 24 Class Meetings 8:30-11:30 a.m.
- Oct. 25 ACT
- Oct. 27 Softball Banquet, 6 p.m.
- Oct. 28 Career Academy Open House, 7p.m.
- Oct. 29 Frightening hunger, 5-7p.m.
- Oct. 30 Jostens, 11-1 p.m. in front of trophy case, Student Vote
- Oct. 31 Jostens, 11-1 p.m. in front of trophy case
- Oct. 31 Senior Yearbook pictures are due
- Nov. 4 Election, Lincoln Graduation 11-12:30 in front of the trophy case
- Nov. 4 Winter Sports Parent Meeting 7-8:30p.m. – Auditorium
- Nov.5 Lincoln Graduation 1:15-1:00 in front of trophy case
- Nov.10 Parent Advisory Council 7, p.m. NCAA Eligibility meeting, 7p.m. Lincoln High
- Nov.10 Bilingual Career Day, commons 4-6p.m.
You’ve Been Caught – SOAR – WAY TO GO!!!
- Alex Benson and Kaleigh Driver– Prize
- Austin Micek– 1st in line for Lunch
- – Premier Parking
- Don’t forget to VOTE everyday….Celebrate My Drive 2014 www.celebratemydrive.com and click to vote to make your commitment to safe driving. There will be voting computers available at lunch this week and next. GO HAWKS!!
- Attention Bowlers and Potential Bowlers....Tryouts are scheduled for Mon, Oct 27th & Fri., Oct 31st from 4-5:30 pm at Sun Valley Lanes. The cost is $20 and is due that day (checks payable to LSW Bowling). You will need to have a H.S. Physical. A form can be found on our Facebook site (Lincoln Southwest Bowling) under the FILES tab near the bottom of the page. Bowling Practice starts Mon., Nov. 3rd and is scheduled for every Monday and Friday from 4-5:30 pm at Sun Valley Lanes. If you have any questions, please contact Cindy Stevens, Managing Parent Rep at LSWBowling@hotmail.com. or see Mr. Free in room C204
College visits for September:
- University of Chicago Fri., Oct. 17th 1:00 p.m.
- Macalester College Mon., Oct. 20th 9:00 a.m.
- University of Wisconsin Mon., Oct. 20th 10:00 a.m.
- Washington University Tues., Oct. 21st 9:00 a.m.
- University of Kansas Tues., Oct. 21st 10:00 a.m.
- Coe College Wed., Oct. 22nd 9:00 a.m.
- University of Nebraska Omaha Wed., Oct. 22nd 10:00 a.m.
- Buena Vista Mon., Oct. 27th 9:00 a .m.
- Northwest Missouri State University Mon., Oct. 27th 10:00 a.m.
- Wayne State College Tues., Oct. 28th 9:00 a.m.
- Washburn University Tues., Oct. 28th 1:00 p.m.
- Cornell College Wed., Oct. 29th 1:00 p.m.
- Iowa Western Community College Thurs., Oct. 30th 10:00 a.m.
- Kansas State University Fri., Oct. 31st 9:00 a.m.
- Vanderbilt Fri., Oct. 31st 10:00 a.m.
Workshop for Susan T Buffett scholarship applicants
Tuesday Nov 11th at 2:05 in the A118 Forum.
- Senior pictures for the yearbook are due Friday, October 31st. http://home.lps.org/english/yearbook/
- Announcements/Cap and Gowns- Jostens will be here Oct. 30 & 31st from 11-1pm for seniors to order announcements. Packets will be distributed to students after the senior meeting Oct. 24th. Lincoln Graduation will be here Nov. 4th & 5th form 11-1pm for seniors to order cap and gowns.
- Government and Politics- All seniors are required to take Government and Politics their senior year. Students need to fulfill 20 hours of community service. http://isite.lps.org/dhersh/webextras/gopo/
LUNCH FOR: October 16, 2014
- Whole grain chicken nuggets with whole wheat garlic bread
- Whole grain lasagna with whole wheat garlic bread
- Sweet & Sour meatballs on whole grain brown rice
- Vegetarian: Veggie wrap on whole grain tortilla
- Varsity Cross Country District @ Pioneers Park
- Varsity Softball State Tournament @ Smith Softball Complext- Hastings
- Varsity Boys Tennis State Tournament @ Koch Tennis Center at 8:30a.m.
- Freshman Volleyball vs Millard South @ LSW at 5:00p.m.
- Reserve Volleyball vs Millard South @ LSW at 6:00p.m.
- Varsity State Softball Tournament @ Smith Softball Complex- Hastings
- Varsity Boys Tennis Tournament @ Koch Tennis Center 9:00p.m.
- Varsity Volleyball vs Westside @ Westside High School at 3:00p.m.
- Varsity Football vs Lincoln East @ Seacrest Field at 8:00p.m.
- Oct. 18 Varsity Volleyball @ Westside High School at 9:30a.m.
- Freshman Volleyball LPS Championship @ LSW at 4:00p.m.
- Freshman Football vs Kearney @ LSW at 4:15p.m.
- JV Football vs Norfolk @ Norfolk Memorial Field 5:00p.m.
- Reserve Volleyball Tournament @ Lincoln North Star at 4:00p.m.
- JV Volleyball Triangular @ LSW at 5:00p.m.
- Reserve Football vs Millard South @ LSW at 4:15p.m.
- JV Volleyball vs Lincoln High @ LSW at 5:30p.m.
- Varsity Volleyball vs Lincoln High @ LSW at 6:30p.m.
- Varsity Cross Country State Meet @ Kearney Country Club at 2:30
- Varsity Football vs North Star @ Seacrest at 7:00p.m.
- Varsity Volleyball Heartland Conference Tournament
- JV Volleyball LPS Championship @LSE @ 4p.m.
- Varsity Volleyball Heartland Conference Tournament@ Lincoln High at 5:00p.m.
- Varsity Football State Championship
See the Lincoln Southwest Calendar for upcoming sports events
- Would be juniors and seniors interested in next year's new Career Academy, you can now complete an application if you are interested in attending. The online application for students is now opened up the online interest application for students: http://tinyURL.com/TCAApp1415 There are also additional information sessions in each high school.
Parents will receive a postcard and email to attend anyone of the following dates:
Oct 27 M East Oct 28 T LSW Oct 30 R LHS
Nov 10 M LNS Nov 11 T LNE Nov 18 T LSE
- Are you interested in learning about various cultures and working to increase the cultural awareness at LSW? If so, it's not too late to join LSW's very own...Multicultural Student Caucus! Plan to attend a special meeting afterschool, Thursday, October 16th, in room A113 to elect this year's officers! Multicultural Student Caucus typically meets afterschool, the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month in room A113. Our next regular scheduled meeting will be Thursday, October 23rd, hope to see you there! Please see Qismat Niazi, or Mrs. Kelley, with any questions. Thanks!
- The 3rd annual Dancing with the Emeralds is coming up on Thursday, November 6th at 6:30 pm. Come and support the Emeralds and their partners as they dance for first place! Judges this year are Mr. Vernon, Mr. James, and Mrs. Bales. Dancing with the Emeralds tickets are $5 in advance or $6 at the door and can be purchased from any Emerald. Raising Canes will be available for purchase! See you on November 6th at 6:30 pm for Dancing with the Emeralds! Please pick up your Honors Packet if you have not in the main office.
- FOOD DRIVE!! Please help LSW Student Council collect food and non-perishable items for the Lincoln Food Bank. There will be collection bins located in each of the forums from October 6th –October 17th. Let’s fill the bins!!! This has become a fun and friendly competition between high schools. We need your help! GO HAWKS!! Any questions contact Makayla Haussler (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Cooper Christancy (email@example.com)
- Please pick up your Honors Packet if you have not in the main office.
- Coat Drive! Time to go in your closets and take out the coats that are too small for you and share them with kids that need a coat. Please bring in your gently used and donate them to the homeless of Lincoln. There will be donation boxes in front of the school store in the commons. They are in need of adult coats. Children’s coats are acceptable too. Any questions contact Leah Fagen.
- Footloose and Fancy donated hundreds of pairs of shoes to the LPS ClothesLine! ClothesLine is a clothes closet for LPS students and families. It is located at Lincoln High, Irving, Dawes, Park, Schoo, Northeast High, Goodrich, and Southeast High. Students not attending these schools can request items of clothing or visit these schools to receive clothes and shoes. These shoes are for any student that requests, no questions asked. For more info, visit http://www.jll.org/clothing-closets
The shoes are either new or almost new and very high quality. Many of the shoes would also work for the parents (especially) moms that need comfortable, professional shoes for their workplace. Also donated are several pairs of 14-15 size shoes (which are hard to find!) so please ask if looking for this size.
- The Nebraska Gates Millennium Scholars Committee is hosting an informational session at Benson High School (5120 Maple Street) in Omaha on October 11th from 9 am to 3 pm. There will be reps from the Gates Millennium Scholarship Program and local colleges and universities. A continental breakfast will be provided to participating students and their parents. This event is for sophomores of color who have a 2.8 or higher GPA and juniors and seniors of color who have a 3.0 or higher GPA. For more information or to register, please contact Donna Bullion at 402-689-4952 or Wayne Davis at 402-905-1009.
- Any student wishing to attend UNL Math Day on Thursday, November 20th please see Mr. DeVries as soon as possible. The last day to sign up is Friday, October 17th.
- Students it is important for you to access the Synergy “StudentVUE”. This program allows you to view your grades, class schedule in other terms, messages from your teachers regarding your academic performance and your calendar. If you have a smart phone you can download the StudentVUE app free from the App Store. You can also use any computer with web access by going to the LPS Home page then click on the Parents tab and the log-in under Parent/studentVUE or https://synergyvue.lps.org
**We will no longer print student schedules for the start of each term since these courses, teachers, and rooms can be seen from the Synergy StudentVUE. So, when term 2 starts on Wed. Oct. 15th, Look on StudentVUE to get your schedule. You can always take a picture on your phone or Ipod of your schedule.