October 22, 2014 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Oct. 6 -21 Food Drive
- Oct. 21 Freshman and Sophomore meeting 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 21 Girls Golf Banquet 6 p.m.
- Oct. 23 Boys Tennis Banquet 6 p.m.
- Oct. 24 Class Meetings 8:30-11:30 a.m.
- Oct. 25 ACT
- Oct. 27 Softball Banquet, 6 p.m.
- Oct. 28 Career Academy Open House, 7p.m.
- Oct. 29 Frightening hunger, 5-7p.m.
- Oct. 30 Jostens, 11-1 p.m. in front of trophy case, Student Vote
- Oct. 31 Jostens, 11-1 p.m. in front of trophy case
- Oct. 31 Senior Yearbook pictures are due
- Nov. 4 Election, Lincoln Graduation 11-12:30 in front of the trophy case
- Nov. 4 Winter Sports Parent Meeting 7-8:30p.m. – auditorium
- Nov.5 Lincoln Graduation 1:15-1:00 in front of trophy case
- Nov.10 Parent Advisory Council 7, p.m. NCAA Eligibility meeting, 7p.m. Lincoln High
- Nov. 10 Bilingual Career Day, commons 4-6p.m.
- Nov.11 Financial Aid Meeting 6:30p.m. – Auditorium
- Nov. 12 College signing Day, 8:30a.m. Commons
- Nov. 12 Adopt –a- Hawk Craft Fair
- Nov. 13 State Volleyball, early release at noon
- Nov. 17 Pep Rally
- Nov. 17 First day for winter sports practices
- Nov. 18 Parent Teacher Conferences 4-7p.m.
You’ve Been Caught – SOAR – WAY TO GO!!!
- Rachel Mundt and Aaron Jurgena – Prize
- Caden Pauling – 1st in line for Lunch
- Kyla Nitzel – Premier Parking
- Student Vote will take place Thursday, Oct. 30. Students can vote for who they think will win this year’s state election race and decide if minimum rage should be increased or not.
- SMART TOMORROW contest by NE Windstream. Students submit a video that illustrates their vision of the connected future. Winning teams will receive $20,000.00 divided equally among the team and $20,000.00 for our school to invest into technology. Entries are due by Nov. 15. More information can be found in the main office.
- Are you interested in learning about various cultures and working to increase the cultural awareness at LSW? If so, it's not too late to join LSW's very own...Multicultural Student Caucus! Our next regular scheduled meeting will be this Thursday, October 23rd, in A113. Meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month. Please see Qismat Niazi (Student President), or Mrs. Kelley (Teacher Sponsor), with any questions. Thanks!
College visits for September:
- Coe College Wed., Oct. 22nd 9:00 a.m.
- University of Nebraska Omaha Wed., Oct. 22nd 10:00 a.m.
- Buena Vista Mon., Oct. 27th 9:00 a .m.
- Northwest Missouri State University Mon., Oct. 27th 10:00 a.m.
- College of Saint Benedict & Saint John's University Mon., Oct. 27th 8:30 a.m.
- Wayne State College Tues., Oct. 28th 9:00 a.m.
- Washburn University Tues., Oct. 28th 1:00 p.m.
- Cornell College Wed., Oct. 29th 1:00 p.m.
- Iowa Western Community College Thurs., Oct. 30th 10:00 a.m.
- Kansas State University Fri., Oct. 31st 9:00 a.m.
- Vanderbilt Fri., Oct. 31st 10:00 a.m.
Workshop for Susan T Buffett scholarship applicants
Tuesday Nov 11th at 2:05 in the A118 Forum.
- Senior pictures for the yearbook are due Friday, October 31st. http://home.lps.org/english/yearbook/
- Announcements/Cap and Gowns- Jostens will be here Oct. 30 & 31st from 11-1pm for seniors to order announcements. Packets will be distributed to students after the senior meeting Oct. 24th. Lincoln Graduation will be here Nov. 4th & 5th form 11-1pm for seniors to order cap and gowns.
- Government and Politics- All seniors are required to take Government and Politics their senior year. Students need to fulfill 20 hours of community service. http://isite.lps.org/dhersh/webextras/gopo/
LUNCH FOR: October 22, 2014
- Whole grain grilled cheese sandwich
- Savory roasted chicken nuggets with grain biscuit
- Whole grain beef and Mac
- Vegetarian: Whole grain grilled cheese sandwich
- Reserve Volleyball Tournament @ Lincoln North Star at 4:00p.m.
- JV Volleyball Triangular @ LSW at 5:00p.m.
- Reserve Football vs Millard South @ LSW at 4:15p.m.
- JV Volleyball vs Lincoln High @ LSW at 5:30p.m.
- Varsity Volleyball vs Lincoln High @ LSW at 6:30p.m.
- Varsity Cross Country State Meet @ Kearney Country Club at 2:30
- Varsity Football vs North Star @ Seacrest at 7:00p.m.
- Varsity Volleyball Heartland Conference Tournament
- JV Volleyball LPS Championship @LSE @ 4p.m.
- Varsity Volleyball Heartland Conference Tournament@ Lincoln High at 5:00p.m.
- Varsity Football State Championship
- Varsity VB District Tournament
Nov. 13 - 15
- Varsity Volleyball State Tournament
See the Lincoln Southwest Calendar for upcoming sports events
Lighthouse is having their annual haunted house event Halloween night, October 31st, from 6:00-8:00 pm. Test your bravery by walking through our haunted house, and then get your dance on at our costume dance party!! The best three costumes will win free gift cards! One gift card per winner. Only grades 6-12! Lighthouse is located on 2601 N st. (402) 475-322
"The SOGI club will be meeting this Wednesday, October 22, in room A207 at 3:15 p.m."
The 3rd annual Dancing with the Emeralds is coming up on Thursday, November 6th at 6:30 pm. Come and support the Emeralds and their partners as they dance for first place! Judges this year are Mr. Vernon, Mr. James, and Mrs. Bales. Dancing with the Emeralds tickets are $5 in advance or $6 at the door and can be purchased from any Emerald. Raising Canes will be available for purchase! See you on November 6th at 6:30 pm for Dancing with the Emeralds!
Please pick up your Honors Packet if you have not in the main office.
Don’t forget to VOTE everyday….Celebrate My Drive 2014 - www.celebratemydrive.com and click to vote to make your commitment to safe driving. There will be voting computers available at lunch this week and next. You don’t have to have a driver’s license to vote.
Ballet Nebraska and Opera Omaha announce auditions for North Wind Chorus to perform in Ballet Nebraska's The Nutcracker this holiday season. North Wind Chorus is both a singing and stage performance role during the Land of Snow scene. Audition: Wednesday, October 22nd * 5 pm - 7pm For more info, go to: http://balletnebraska.org/2014/opera-omaha-north-wind-chorus-auditions/. Limited openings are available. To register, please visit http://ct.emedia1.com/rd/cts?d=7-155622-49798-68728-5737-6017238-0-0-0-1-111-859
NMC CAT, in partnership with the Diesel Technology Program at Central Community College in Hastings, Nebraska offers a two-year sponsorship coupled with an apprenticeship program at NMC CAT locations in Nebraska. To be eligible, qualified applicants must be registered full-time in the Associate of Applied Science degree program.
STEP 1: Apply for the NMC Sponsorship Program by clicking on the following link: http://www.nmc-corp.com/Content.aspx?id=3973.
- STEP 2: Apply with Central Community College in Hastings, NE.
Central Community College: Hastings Campus
550 S Technical Blvd
PO Box 1024
Hastings NE 68902-1024
- STEP 3: Visit Central Community College for a campus tour and complete your entrance exams (ASSET, COMPASS, or ACT).
- STEP 4: Contact NMC to provide your testing results and schedule yourself to come and job shadow for a ½ day at one of our NMC locations.
- STEP 5: Once you have received your letter of acceptance from the school, you will have completed all of the requirements to be considered for NMC’s Sponsorship Program.
- Step 6: Complete the NMC Talent Solutions Profile – Emailed to you separately.
- NMC will contact you in the December/January time frame to confirm all requirements have been met and schedule you for your initial telephone interview.
If you are chosen for the NMC Sponsorship Program, you are eligible to receive:
Attention Bowlers and Potential Bowlers....Tryouts are scheduled for Mon, Oct 27th & Fri., Oct 31st from 4-5:30 pm at Sun Valley Lanes. The cost is $20 and is due that day (checks payable to LSW Bowling). You will need to have a H.S. Physical. A form can be found on our Facebook site (Lincoln Southwest Bowling) under the FILES tab near the bottom of the page. Bowling Practice starts Mon., Nov. 3rd and is scheduled for every Monday and Friday from 4-5:30 pm at Sun Valley Lanes. If you have any questions, please contact Cindy Stevens, Managing Parent Rep at LSWBowling@hotmail.com. or see Mr. Free in room C204
Would be juniors and seniors interested in next year's new Career Academy, you can now complete an application if you are interested in attending. The online application for students is now opened up the online interest application for students: http://tinyURL.com/TCAApp1415 There are also additional information sessions in each high school.
Parents will receive a postcard and email to attend anyone of the following dates:
Oct 27 M East Oct 28 T LSW Oct 30 R LHS
Nov 10 M LNS Nov 11 T LNE Nov 18 T LSE
Coat Drive! Time to go in your closets and take out the coats that are too small for you and share them with kids that need a coat. Please bring in your gently used and donate them to the homeless of Lincoln. There will be donation boxes in front of the school store in the commons, until October 27th. They are in need of adult coats. Children’s coats are acceptable too. Any questions contact Leah Fagen.