December 2, 2014 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Dec.2 Football Banquet, 7p.m.
- Dec. 3 Blood drive
- Dec. 4-5 White Christmas Performance, 7 p.m.
- Dec. 8 Jazz Band concert, 7p.m.
- Dec. 9 Hawk Food Market, 2:15p.m. A118 Forum
- Dec. 11-13 White Christmas Performance, 7 p.m.
- Dec. 13 ACT
- Dec. 15 Winter concert- band, orchestra, choir, 6:30p.m. gym
- Dec. 18-19 Final exams
- Dec. 22 – Jan 2 Winter Break
- Dec. 24-25 LSW offices closed
- Dec. 31-Jan 1 LSW offices closed
Final Exam Schedule:
07:50-08:55 Final Exam Preparation
09:00-10:30 Block 1 exam
10:45-12:15 Block 2 exam
12:15-03:30 make-up if necessary
07:50-08:55 Final Exam Preparation
09:00-10:30 Block 3 exam
10:45-12:15 Block 4 exam
12:15-03:30 make-up if necessary
LUNCH FOR : December 2, 2014
- WG cheese stuffed breadsticks with dipping sauce
- BBQ riblet on WG bun
- Boneless chicken wings
- Vegetarian: WG cheese stuffed breadsticks with dipping sauce
You’ve Been Caught – SOAR – WAY TO GO!!!
- Jenna Dejonge and Bailey Snow– Prize
- Derek Smid– 1st in line for Lunch
- Brady Stock– Premier Parking
- University of Nebraska – Lincoln’s College of Business Administration’s 2015 DREAM BIG Academy held July 12th-16th. This FREE program is a chance for students to learn about business, their strengths and how they can apply them in a career. In addition to exploring the University of Nebraska–Lincoln, students will also spend a day with our corporate sponsor, ConAgra Foods, at their headquarters in Omaha, NE.
Please encourage your students to keep this opportunity on their radar when thinking about summer plans!
The criteria for selection will be based upon the following:
• High School Junior
• 2.5 GPA or higher
• DREAM BIG Application, online in January
If you have any other questions please contact Dominique Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org , Wendy Hunt at email@example.com , Mark Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org , or the CBA Undergraduate Programs Office at (402) 472-7379
Thank you for encouraging your students to DREAM BIG!
We look forward to hosting your students this year!
- The LSW Speech and Debate Team is hosting the first annual “LSW Forensics Wreath Auction” next Tuesday, December 9th at Wilderness Ridge. The doors open at 6 pm. We will be having a wide array of delicious appetizers and beverages for your enjoyment. Starting at 6:30 pm, members of our award winning speech and debate team will be performing. Before and between performances, attendees will be encouraged to refill their plates and peruse the beautiful holiday items we will have for silent auction. We have over 20 beautiful items on which to bid. There will be fresh greenery from Earl May and Campbell's Nursery along with several "deco mesh" wreaths, a "Bookish" wreath, door signs, quilts, snowmen, decorative signs, fireplace swags and other ornamental decorations. Throughout the evening, we will be having door prize drawings for small items and gift cards. Each attendee will also leave the auction with a small “favor.” Tables of items for bid will close at varied times throughout the evening. Tickets are $20. If you would like a ticket, please respond to this email and we will get your ticket to you! The money from this auction will fund our transportation and entry fees for the season. If you are a decorator or crafter and would like to donate to the auction, please let me know! We would love to feature your work in our auction and will showcase your name and/or company for those who bid on your item. Thank you – Toni Heimes
College visits for December:
- Cap and Gown- Lincoln Graduation is the company we use to order cap and gowns. Online information or ordering: http://www.lincolngraduation.com/ss/live/index.php?action=viewcat&sid=98&cid=92&pageid=1071
- Government and Politics- All seniors are required to take Government and Politics their senior year. Students need to fulfill 20 hours of community service. http://isite.lps.org/dhersh/webextras/gopo/
- Rebecca Carr, Admissions Counselor from the University of Nebraska–Lincoln (UNL) will be at LSW on Tuesday November 25th from 2:05 to 3:05 in C113 lab to assist students in completing the UNL application and answer any questions pertaining to UNL admission. She will be able to assist with submitting the Personal Statement as well as paying the enrollment fee.
- Anders Peterson from EducationQuest is at LSW every Thursday to assist students/families in completing the FAFSA and the Susan Thompson Buffet scholarship application. Sign up in the counseling center to meet with Anders.
- Dec. 4 JV Boys Basketball Tournament vs Creighton Prep @ LSW at 5:45 p.m.
- Dec. 4 Varsity Girls Basketball Tournament vs Marian @ LSW at 5:45
- Dec. 4 Varsity Swimming and Diving Meet vs Lincoln East @ Lincoln East at 4:30p.m.
- Dec. 4 JV Girls Basketball Tournament vs Marian @ LSW at 7:30 p.m.
- Dec. 4 Varsity Boys Basketball Tournament vs Creighton Prep @ LSW at 7:30p.m.
- Dec. 6 Freshman Boys Basketball Jamboree @ Lincoln High at 9:00a.m.
- Dec. 6 Freshman Girls Jamboree @ Lincoln High at 9:00a.m.
- Dec. 6 Reserve Girls Basketball vs LNE at LSW at 9:00a.m.
- Dec. 6 Freshman/Varsity/JV Wrestling Invitational vs Kearney @ Kearney at 9:30 a.m.
- Dec. 6 Reserve Boys Basketball vs LNE @ LSW at 10:30 a.m.
- Dec. 6 Varsity Girls Basketball Tournament @ LSW at 1:00p.m.
- Dec. 6 JV Boys Basketball Tournament @ LSW at 1:00 p.m.
- Dec. 6 JV Girls Basketball Tournament @ LSW at 2:45 p.m.
- Dec. 6 Varsity Boys Basketball Tournament @ LSW at 2:45 p.m.
See the Lincoln Southwest Calendar for upcoming sports events
- NHS/Key Club Project - Dec. 1-5 there will be a giving tree in the commons area. Please help the community children (through Cedars) by stopping by and grabbing an ornament gift request. Any questions see Mrs. Dutton
- It's Community Outreach Week in B204.... All 3 of my 9th grade classes (2 Civics, 1 Geography) chose to gather items for soldier care packages as part of our Civic Action Project during the week of December 1st-5th. We have made posters, which are throughout the building and in B204 of items that we are collecting. Cards & letters are also encouraged. We encourage all students/staff/classes to join in on this mission! All items can be taken to Mrs. Bales in B204.
- If you stop by or pass by B204 you will see that the Grinch, Cindy Lou Who and Max the dog have made an appearance as well. December is the month of giving and we want to promote being kind and caring for one and all by helping the Grinch to grow his heart! Stop by to see what it's ll about and how YOU can get involved.
This is the 4th year of our Adopt-A-Hawk Holiday Drive. Last year, this program helped over 83 Southwest students and their families with food, clothing, gas, and other necessities, totaling over $3,500. We need your help again this year. If you are willing to donate money to this great program that benefits our students and families, please send your check or money directly to the office and we will turn it over to the Booster Store or you can drop funds off while the store is open from 11:30 to 1:00 on Mondays, Wednesdays, or Fridays. Checks can be made out to “Silver Hawk Boosters”. Our counselors work with administrators and Cindy Krushenisky, Scrip Coordinator to identify families in need. Again, any donation is greatly appreciated.
Want a seasonal job??? Shopko at 27th and Pine Lake is one of our VIP organizations and would like to hire seasonal workers, starting to work on Black Friday, Nov. 28th – Dec. 31. You must be 16 to apply. Go to www.shopko.com/careers to apply.
There will be a baseball winter meeting, ONLY FOR THOSE NOT out for a winter sport. The meeting will be Monday Dec. 1 at 3:15 in Forum A118. If you are unable to attend, please see Coach Vernon in the main office.
Silver Hawk Theatre has been hard at work preparing our 51st Production!
Begin your family holiday celebration at,
IRVING BERLIN’S WHITE CHRISTMAS tells the story of two showbiz buddies putting on a show in a picturesque Vermont inn, and finding their perfect mates in the bargain. Full of dancing, romance, laughter and some of the greatest songs ever written, including “Count Your Blessings Instead of Sheep,” “Happy Holiday,” “Sisters,” “Blue Skies,” and the unforgettable title song, IRVING BERLIN’S WHITE CHRISTMAS promises to be a merry and bright experience for the entire family!
“This cozy trip down memory lane should be put on your wish list.” - The New York Times
“A holiday card come to life.” - The New York Daily News
Thursday, Friday & Saturday, December 4, 5 & 11, 12, 13 at 7:00 P.M.
Saturday, December 6 at 2:00 P.M.
Student tickets are $8.00, HOWEVER, if you attend any of the Thursday night performances it is $5.00!