Janaury 23, 2015 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Jan. 24 SAT Test @ East High
- Jan. 27 Lincoln Graduation will be at SW taking orders for cap and gowns, 11:15-1:00p.m.
- Jan. 28 NESA Writing Exam (Juniors), Lincoln Graduation will be at SW taking orders for cap and gown.
- Jan. 30 Winter Wonderland Dance, 7-10p.m.
- Feb. 3 ASVAB Testing, 8-12p.m.
- Feb. 4 College signing, 8:30a.m.
- Feb. 7 Show Choir Show Down, 8a.m.-10p.m.
- Feb. 9 Pep Rally, 9:30 a.m.
- Feb. 9 Parent Advisory Council Meeting, 7p.m.
- Feb. 10 Parent Teacher Conferences, 4-7p.m.
- Feb. 11 WGDE Testing
- Feb. 12 WGDE Expository
- Feb. 19 Blood Drive
- Feb. 26 Honors Convocation, 8:15a.m.
You’ve Been Caught – SOAR – WAY TO GO!!!
- Courtney Bertwell and Ashley Pales-Prize
- Rachel Sherwood– 1st in line for Lunch
- Duane Green– Premier Parking
- LPS high school seniors may now apply online for scholarships available through the Foundation for LPS at http://foundationforlps.org/scholarships. Scholarships range from $160 to $12,000. All applications must be submitted online and documents uploaded onto their STARS (scholarship software) account. Applications are due by March 6. A list of scholarships is available on the LSW Counseling Center's website.
- Northwest Missouri State University Thur., Feb. 12th 9:00 a.m.
- UNMC College of Nursing Wed., Feb. 18th 10:00 a.m.
- Central Community College Mon., Feb. 23rd 9:00 a.m.
- University of Nebraska Lincoln 11th & 12th Grade Tues., Feb. 17th 9:00 a.m.
- Cap and Gown- Lincoln Graduation is the company we use to order cap and gowns.
- Government and Politics- All seniors are required to take Government and Politics their senior year. Students need to fulfill 20 hours of community service. http://isite.lps.org/dhersh/webextras/gopo/
- Anders Peterson from EducationQuest is at LSW every Thursday to assist students/families in completing the FAFSA and the Susan Thompson Buffet scholarship application. Sign up in the counseling center to meet with Anders
- Seniors are reminded to check the Counseling Center's website to look for available scholarship. If they have not yet registered with Scholarship Quest and national scholarship searches, now is a great time to create register with the searches of their choice.
- Seniors & their families are also reminded that the FAFSA may be completed anytime after January 1st. To schedule an appointment with Anders Peterson to complete the FAFSA, please call Mrs. Way in the Counseling Center at 402-436-1306 #3. Information about the FAFSA is available on the Counseling Center's website at http://wp.lps.org/jlehn2/students/financial-aid-3/.
LUNCH FOR: January 23, 2015
- Cheese pizza
- Chicken alfredo
- Philly cheese sandwich
- Vegetarian: Cheese pizza
- Varsity Girls and JV Boys Basketball vs GI Senior High @ GIHS at 5:45p.m.
- Varsity Boys and JV Girls Basketball vs GI Senior High @ GIHS at 7:30p.m.
- Freshman Girls Basketball vs Lincoln Pius X @ Pius X at 9:00a.m.
- Varsity Wrestling Tournament vs Lexington @ Lexington at 9:00a.m.
- Freshman Basketball vs Lincoln Pius X @ Pius X at 10:30a.m.
- Varsity Girls Basketball vs Omaha Central @ LSW at 5:15p.m.
- JV Boys Basketball vs Omaha Central @ LSW at 5:15p.m.
- Varsity Boys Basketball vs Omaha Central @ LSW at 7:00p.m.
- JV Girls Basketball vs Omaha Central @ LSW at 7:00p.m.
- Freshman Boys Basketball vs Lincoln High @ Lincoln High at 5:45p.m
- Freshman Girls Basketball vs Lincoln High @ LSW at 5:45p.m.
- Reserve Boys Basketball vs Lincoln High @ Lincoln High at 7:30p.m.
- Reserve Girls Basketball vs Lincoln High @ LSW at 7:30p.m.
- Reserve Boys Basketball vs Bellevue West @LSW at 4:00p.m.
- JV Boys Basketball vs Omaha NW @ LSW at 5:45p.m.
- Varsity Girls Basketball vs Omaha NW @ LSW at 5:45 p.m.
- Varsity Boys Basketball vs Omaha NW @ LSW at 7:30p.m.
- JV Girls Basketball vs Omaha NW @ LSW at 7:30p.m.
- Swimming and Diving vs Norfolk @ Norfolk at 4:30p.m.
- JV Boys Basketball vs Millard West @ Millard West at 5:30p.m.
- Varsity Girls Basketball vs Millard West @ Millard West at 5:30p.m.
- Varsity Boys Basketball vs Millard West @ Millard West at 7:15p.m.
- JV Girls Basketball vs Millard @ Millard West at 7:15p.m.
See the Lincoln Southwest Calendar for upcoming sports events
- The Emeralds Dance team tryout meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 24th at 7:15a.m. OR 6:00p.m. in the A118 Forum. The Emeralds tryout meeting is required for all dancers considering trying out. A parent or guardian must attend as well. Emeralds tryouts will be held from Wednesday, March 25th- Friday, March 27th after school.
- The Boys' and Girls' State applications are here! Please stop in the Counseling Center to pick up an application. The return time is quick--so don't delay! This is a wonderful opportunity to learn about citizenship and government in Nebraska. The camps will be held from May 31-June 6 at UNL. Applications are due to Ms. Burk in the counseling center by the end of the day on January 30.
- Application forms for the Silver Hawk Theatre Scholarship are now available in the counseling center and the Theatre Black Box classroom. Forms are due to Mr. Bob by March 6, 2015. ONLY seniors graduating in 2015 can apply. The scholarship will be announced at the theatre banquet in May, 2015.
- Bright Lights is, once again looking for ambitious, interested students who would like to assist master teachers with classes this summer. This is a great opportunity for young people to work with passionate, experienced teachers in a wide variety of subject areas. This experience also affords those involved in getting their GOPO or community service hours. They will earn 20 hrs. for working a half day class for one week. Classes run the range from science and technology to the arts, writing and outdoor classes such as fishing. We have a Harry Potter camp as well as CSI, Robotics, Medical, and a Creative Challenge Camp. The International program with the Japanese students is in its 13th year, for middle level students. About 90 Japanese 9th graders will attend. Applications will be taken on line opening February 13 and will close on March 20.
- Boys' golf. There will be a short informational meeting for boys not currently participating in a winter sport, Thursday, January 22, 2015, at 3:10 p.m. in room A112.
- The Winter Ball is Friday Jan. 30th. Tickets will be $5.00. More information about ticket sales will be coming out shortly. Watch the hall monitors for more information. Winter Wonderland Dance tickets will go on sale the week of Jan. 30th.If you have a favorite song you want played at the dance vote this week (Jan. 12th week) during lunch using a Q.R code or using a U.R.L code- found on your lunch table.
- This year's upcoming NeSA-Writing Assessment will take place on January 28th. All eleventh grade students will be taking the assessment. Those students currently enrolled in an English course will take the assessment during their English class - all others will be assigned to a computer lab during either first or second block. The results and data from this assessment influence decisions about our performance compared to other high schools, our curriculum, and resources (staffing and funding) that our school and district receive. Students are encouraged to be well rested, and present at school on January 28th. This will be an online assessment, and students will receive a ticket with their login information the morning of the assessment. Testing rooms will be posted in the main office window for student reference the week of the assessment.