February 23, 2015 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Feb. 23 Jazz Band Concert, 7p.m.
- Feb. 24 Hawk Market and Closet 2-3:30p.m.
- Feb. 24 WGDE Narrative, Forensics Showcase, 6p.m.
- Feb. 24th Emeralds Try Out meeting at 7:15a.m. OR 6:00p.m. in the A118 Forum.
- Feb. 25 RGDE Testing, Band and Orchestra Concert 7p.m.
- Feb. 26 Honors Convocation, 8:15a.m.
- Feb. 26 Silver Platter Dinner- Boosters
- Feb 28 Science Olympiad Regional - Omaha
- Mar. 2 Start of spring sports
- Mar. 4 Finals
- Mar.5 Hosting State Basketball- no school
- Mar.6 Finals, Cheer Tryout Meeting, 5:30p.m.
- Mar.7 Science Olympiad, Ames IA invite
- Mar9-13 Spring Break
You’ve Been Caught – SOAR – WAY TO GO!!!
- Lauren Bowman and Tyrese Malone-Prize
- Joshua Clark – 1st in line for Lunch
- Hailey Bax – Premier Parking
College visits for February:
- UNMC College of Nursing Wed., Feb. 18th 10:00 a.m.
- Bellevue University Wed., February 18th 9:00 a.m.
- College of St. Mary Wed., February 18th 1:00 p.m.
- Central Community College Mon., Feb. 23rd 9:00 a.m.
- Joseph's College of Beauty Fri., February 27th 10:00 a.m.
- 2015 Graduates— Please check the list of potential 2015 graduates posted on the Attendance Office window to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, if there are ANY changes.
- Cap and Gown- Lincoln Graduation is the company we use to order cap and gowns. Online information or ordering: http://www.lincolngraduation.com/ss/live/index.php?action=viewcat&sid=98&cid=92&pageid=1071
- Government and Politics- All seniors are required to take Government and Politics their senior year. Students need to fulfill 20 hours of community service.
- Anders Peterson from EducationQuest is at LSW every Thursday to assist students/families in completing the FAFSA and the Susan Thompson Buffet scholarship application. Sign up in the counseling center to meet with Anders
- LPS high school seniors may now apply online for scholarships available through the Foundation for LPS at http://foundationforlps.org/scholarships. Scholarships range from $160 to $12,000. All applications must be submitted online and documents uploaded onto their STARS (scholarship software) account. Applications are due by March 6. A list of scholarships is available on the LSW Counseling Center's website.
- Seniors are reminded to register with ScholarshipQuest for local, regional, and state scholarship opportunities. New listings, which include links to the scholarships, are listed below.
There will be scholarships added to ScholarshipQuest and the national searches on an ongoing basis from now through March for this year's seniors. Links to national searches are available on ScholarshipQuest
LUNCH FOR : February 23, 2015
- French toast sticks with sausage links
- Turkey bacon burger
- Beef and bean burrito
- Vegetarian: French toast sticks with cheese stick
- JV Boys Basketball LPS championship @ LNE at 5:45p.m.
- Varsity Girls District Basketball TBD
- JV Boys LPS Championship @ LNE at 5:45p.m.
- JV Boys LPS Championship @ LNE at 7:00p.m.
- Varsity Girls Basketball District TBD
- Varsity State Swimming and Diving @ Devaney Center at 9:30a.m.
- Varsity State Swimming and Diving @ Devaney Center at 9:00a.m.
- Varsity Girls Basketball District TBD
- Varsity State Wrestling @ UNK at 9:00a.m.
- Varsity Boys Basketball Districts TBD
- Varsity State Swimming and Diving @ Devaney Center at 11:00 a.m.
- Varsity District Boys Basketball TBD
See the Lincoln Southwest Calendar for upcoming sports events
- Track and Field Meeting is February 23rd in the B118 Forum at 3:15p.m. All athletes wishing to participate in track and field at LSW should attend. If you are unable to attend see Coach Schuster in A117 TPC.
- All those interested in trying out for baseball must attend a sign up meeting on Monday, February 23rd in Forum A218 at 3:15. Try outs begin March 2nd. If you are unable to attend the meeting see Coach Vernon.
- We want to remind you of the upcoming Hawks Food Market and Closet that will take place on Tuesday, February 24th from 2-3:30pm in the A118 Forum . As you know, the market provides an opportunity for LSW families and staff to obtain food items and gently used clothing at no cost. Guests need only to sign in and shop. Please spread the word.
- For any student, not currently in an LSW Choir, that is interested in being in a choir during the 2015-16 school year, Auditions are next week. Vocal Placement auditions will be before and after school. Go to E-wing to sign up for a time slot. Audition material and info is on Mrs. Cotton's website. If interested in Show Choir, dance auditions are next Mon. Feb. 23, 4:30-6:30 and Tues. Feb. 25, 3;30-5:30. You only need to come 1 of the 2 days. For times and information, look at the posters around the school, check Mrs. Cotton and Mr. Jacobson's websites or come to E-wing to talk to Mrs. Cotton or Mr. Jacobson. There is a choir for everyone!
- On behalf of the Stand For The Silent club could you please share in the announcements that there is an upcoming meeting on FRIDAY FEBRUARY 27th at 7:30 a.m. in B204. Anyone is welcome to attend. For those who have been a part of the club, please attend as we will be taking our group picture for the yearbook.
- Jersey Mike’s Grand Opening is Feb. 18- Feb.22. Jersey Mike’s cards will be handed out Tuesday and Wednesday mornings until we run out. This card will get you a sub for $2.00 and then the $2.00 will be given to SW.
- Reminder to those interested in attending UNL's "Diversity Law Day" scheduled for Thursday, February 26th- permission slips are due this week!
If you are interested in attending this event to learn more about life as a law student, see Mrs. Kelley in A113.
- The Emeralds Dance team tryout meeting will be held on Tuesday, February 24th at 7:15a.m. OR
6:00p.m. in the A118 Forum. The Emeralds tryout meeting is required for all dancers considering trying out. A parent or guardian must attend as well. Emeralds tryouts will be held from Wednesday, March 25th- Friday, March 27th after school.
- The Lincoln Area College Fair is Sunday, April 19 from 1:00-3:00 p.m. at Southeast Community College in Lincoln. Students who plan to attend are encouraged to register for a barcode at NebraskaCollegeFairs.org. (Note: if students registered for a barcode for a fall fair, they may use it again at this event.) For more information, please visit EducationQuest's link at https://www.educationquest.org/11th-12th-grade-students/selecting-a-college/spring-college-fairs. Don’t miss this opportunity to meet with representatives from colleges across the state and region. If you’re a senior, take one more look at schools before selecting a college. If you’re a junior or sophomore, this is a great way to start your college search process!
We are a non-profit that offers prom dresses and all of the accessories to students for only $20. We want to make sure that each and every girl who wants to go to prom, has the ability to go! Not only do we want to find a dress for every girl, but we want to create an experience she will never forget! We will be starting our Prom Dress nights every weekend in March (Friday 4-7, Saturday 9-5, and Sunday 12-5). Students can make an appointment by calling 402--202-5323 or emailing email@example.com. The Prom closet is located at 643 S 25th Street, Suite 8, Lincoln, NE 68510.
Students are reminded to visit the LSW homepage for instructions on how to register for their 2015-16 courses. Registration help sessions will be available in the Media Center Lab during February as shown below:
• February 17th * 3 - 6 pm (Students may work on their schedules in the Counseling Center during PLC time)
• February 24th * 3 - 6 pm (Students may work on their schedules in the Counseling Center during PLC Time)
Friday, February 27th is the last day to register for next year's courses
The United States Naval Academy Summer Seminar is a fast-paced, six-day experience for high achievers who have completed their junior year in high school. Summer Seminar teaches students about life at the Naval Academy, where academics, athletics, and professional training play equally important roles in developing our nation's leaders.
AP students, the window to register for an AP test is open – Today through March 5th. To register you will need to follow the registration link located on the LSW main page. Once you registered, you will then need to pay the bookkeeper. Please note that you will need to pay for the test BEFORE the registration window closes, otherwise a test will not be ordered for you. If you have any questions please check the TV monitors or ask your AP teacher or Dr. Brady.
The Lincoln Education Association Foundation (LEAF) is offering LPS seniors the opportunity to apply for the SOAR and STAR scholarships. For more information, please visit the LEA website at www.lincolneducationassociation.org or contact Emily Sears at 402-489-7500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOAR Scholarship - The Lincoln Education Association Foundation (LEAF) is offering a scholarship of $1,000 to a senior who has attended at least his/her senior year and is a graduate of a Lincoln Public Schools high school. This scholarship is awarded to a student who shows an interest in continuing their education at an accredited Nebraska educational institution. The scholarship will be paid to the institution after the completion of the first grading period.
Deadline: April 15th
SOAR Scholarship Information Sheet (PDF)
SOAR Scholarship Application (PDF)STAR Scholarship
The Lincoln Education Association Foundation (LEAF) is offering a scholarship of $1,000 to a child of an LEA member. The child must have attended at least his/her senior year and be a graduate of a Lincoln Public Schools high school. This scholarship is awarded to students who show an interest in continuing their education at an accredited Nebraska educational institution.
The scholarship will be paid to the institution after the completion of the first grading period.
Students are reminded to check the LSW Counseling Center website's Student Opportunities page for opportunities such as those listed below:
• ABC (Associated Builders & Contractors) Apprenticeship & Craft-Training Programs
• Bright Lights
o Deadline: March 20, 2015
• Fame & Partners
o Deadline: February 28, 2015
• Lincoln Electrical Joint Apprenticeship Program
• Joyce Ivy Foundation Summer Program
o Deadline: March 1, 2015
• Nebraska Cultural Unity Conference
o April 15, 2015 in Kearney, NE
• Yale Young Global Scholars Program
o Deadline: February 26, 2015
LPS high school seniors may now apply online for scholarships available through the Foundation for LPS at http://foundationforlps.org/scholarships. Scholarships range from $160 to $12,000. All applications must be submitted online and documents uploaded onto their STARS (scholarship software) account. A list of scholarships is available by visiting the LSW Counseling Center's website. Deadline: March 6, 2015.
Application forms for the Silver Hawk Theatre Scholarship are now available in the counseling center and the Theatre Black Box classroom. Forms are due to Mr. Bob by March 6, 2015. ONLY seniors graduating in 2015 can apply. The scholarship will be announced at the theatre banquet in May, 2015.
Bright Lights is, once again looking for ambitious, interested students who would like to assist master teachers with classes this summer. This is a great opportunity for young people to work with passionate, experienced teachers in a wide variety of subject areas. This experience also affords those involved in getting their GOPO or community service hours. They will earn 20 hrs. for working a half day class for one week. Classes run the range from science and technology to the arts, writing and outdoor classes such as fishing. We have a Harry Potter camp as well as CSI, Robotics, Medical, and a Creative Challenge Camp. The International program with the Japanese students is in its 13th year, for middle level students. About 90 Japanese 9th graders will attend. Applications will be taken on line opening February 13 and will close on March 20.