March 25, 2015 - Student Bulletin
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Mar. 25 Serve Weather Drill in a.m., Emeralds Dance try-out interviews 3p.m.
- Mar. 26 Emeralds Dance Try-out practice 3p.m., Wrestling Banquet 6p.m., Choir Concert 7p.m.
- Mar. 27 Early Release at 2:30p.m.-Host State Debate, Emeralds Dance try-outs 3p.m.
- Mar. 31 Cheer Try-outs 5-7p.m.
- April 1 Cheer Try-outs 5-7p.m.
- April 2 Cheer Try-outs 5-7p.m.
- April 3 No school, Cheer Try-outs (9a.m. freshman) 10:30 a.m. (upper classman)
- April 7 NeSA Reading, Primary Elections
- April 8 Matinee for Scott 8th graders and Cavett 3rd graders
- April 9-11 Spring Play at 7p.m.
- April 13 Parent Advisory Meeting, 7 p.m.
- April 14 NeSa Math
- April 15 National Honor Society, 8:15p.m.
- April 16 Flight Night rehearsal, Forensics Banquet, 5 p.m.
You’ve Been Caught – SOAR
- Jusin Vossler and Tory Soucie - Prize
- Jasper Zoucha – 1st in line for Lunch
- Ryley Schuerman – Premier Parking
College visits for March:
- University of Nebraska Omaha Wed., March 25th 9:00 a.m.
- Southeast Community College - Lincoln, Beatrice, Milford Wed., April 15th 10:00 a.m.
- Ottawa University Mon., April 20th 10:00 a.m.
- Every year Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, a historically Latina sorority, grants a local Latina high school senior a scholarship. For more info, visit ScholarshipQuest or check out the links below. The link for instructions on filling out the document is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JGFQNAV6DTYw_QnApfjWhZuapref9UzA-rmHHbe4TiQ/edit?pli=1 The direct link to the application is: https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=emMnogqgIxjX6ElqK1o7qA
- 2015 Graduates— Please check the list of potential 2015 graduates posted on the Attendance Office window to make sure your full LEGAL name is spelled correctly. Diplomas will be printed as shown. See Mrs. Carman, Registrar, if there are ANY changes.
- Government and Politics- All seniors are required to take Government and Politics their senior year. Students need to fulfill 20 hours of community service. http://isite.lps.org/dhersh/webextras/gopo/
- Anders Peterson from EducationQuest is at LSW every Thursday to assist students/families in completing the FAFSA and the Susan Thompson Buffet scholarship application. Sign up in the counseling center to meet with Anders
- Seniors are reminded to register with ScholarshipQuest https://www.educationquest.org/resources/scholarshipquest/) to apply for such scholarships as the LSW Parent Advisory Council Scholarship. The LSW PAC will be awarding a total of five scholarships ($500) to students who are graduating in 2015. Applications for the Scholarships will also be posted on the LSW Counseling Center website. All applications must be turned in to the Counseling Center before 3:30 pm on Wednesday, April 1st. Applicants must write a 600 word or less essay that addresses a "Meaningful School or Community Activity) they have experienced while a student at Lincoln Southwest. Essays must be typed, double-spaced, and have 1-inch margins.
LUNCH FOR : March 25, 2015
- Turkey Sub
- Hot and Spicy chicken sandwich
- Vegetarian: Veggie sub
- JV Boys Soccer vs SE @ YMCA Spirit Park #1 at 5:00p.m.
- JV Girls Soccer vs SE @ YMCA Spirit Park #2 at 5:00 p.m.
- Reserve Boys Soccer vs LH @ YMCA Spirit #3 at 5:00p.m.
- Varsity Girls Soccer vs LE @ Beechner Field at 6:00p.m.
- Varsity Boys Soccer vs LE @ Beechner Field at 7:30p.m.
- Varsity Boys Soccer vs Millard West @ Millard West at 4:30p.m.
- See the Lincoln Southwest Calendar for upcoming sports events
- Varsity Baseball vs Papillion-LaVista South@ Den Hartog at 5:00 p.m.
- Reserve Girls Soccer vs York @ York Cornerstone Complex at 5:00p.m.
- Reserve Boys Soccer vs York @ York Cornerstone Complex at 5:00p.m.
- JV Doubleheader Baseball vs GI Senior High @ Den Hartog at 11:00a.m.
- Varsity Girls Soccer vs Marian @ Omaha Marian High at 11:00a.m.
- Freshman Baseball Double Dual vs NS @ North Star High at 12:00p.m.
- Varsity Baseball DH vs Omaha Roncalli Catholic @ Sherman Field at 12:00p.m.
- Varsity Track and Field Invitational vs Millard West @ Millard West at 12:00p.m.
- Varsity Boys Soccer vs Millard North @ Millard North High at 1:00p.m.
- Freshman Baseball Double Dual vs LNE @ LNE south field at 2:00p.m.
- Reserve Girls Tennis Dual vs Beatrice @ Hannibal Park – Beatrice at 4:00p.m.
- Reserve Baseball vs Lincoln East@ Lincoln East at 5:00p.m.
- Varsity Boys Golf Quad @ Fremont Golf Club at 10:00a.m.
- JV Boys Golf Quad @ Fremont Golf Club at 10:00a.m.
- Varsity Baseball vs Millard South @ Millard South at 4:30p.m.
- JV Boys Soccer vs College View Academy @ College View Academy at 5:00p.m.
- Reserve Boys Soccer vs Lincoln East @ YMCA Spirit Park #1 at 5:00p.m.
- Reserve Girls Soccer vs Lincoln East @ YMCA Spirt Park #3 at 5:00p.m.
- Varsity Girls Soccer vs LNE @ Beechner field at 6:00p.m. (LNE gate)
- Varsity Boys Soccer vs LNE @ Beechner field at 7:30p.m. (LNE gate)
- JV Boys Golf invitational vs Millard West @ Pacific Springs Golf Course at 9:00a.m.
- JV Track & Field LSW Invit. @ Beechner Field-Scott Track – Lincoln High at 1:30p.m.
- Varsity Track & Field Invitational @ Scott Track –LHS at 1:30p.m.
- JV Girls Tennis Dual vs LNH @ LSW-tennis courts at 4:00p.m.
- Varsity Baseball vs LSE @ Den Hartog at 5:00p.m.
- JV Girls Soccer vs Omaha Skutt @ Omaha Skutt at 5:30p.m.
- Reserve Boys Soccer vs Omaha Skutt @ Omaha Skutt @ 5:30p.m.
- JV Baseball vs LSE @ Den Hartog at 7:00p.m.
- Help support a walk to Rebel (Ra-bell) Rebel’s mission is to change the definition for beauty and health for everyone. Rebel envisions a world in which individuals are valued for who they are rather than how they look. T-shirts well be on sale before and after school for $15.00.
- All students interested in playing football next year should attend a meeting March 24th at 7:30a.m. If you can’t attend please see Coach King prior to March 24th.
- Please help NHS support and empower woman and children effected by human trafficking by stopping by the Tiny Hand International table in the commons before, after school and during lunches Tuesday 24th – Thursday March 26th. They are selling handmade jewelry, bags, clothes, and accessories made by the woman of Nepal. All proceeds go to Tiny Hands International and their efforts to stop human trafficking. Thanks for your support!
- NEW…SRO ( School Resource Officer) Facebook page. This page is for students, parents, staff and boosters of the school. There will be Helpful safety tips, crime stoppers information and information on about different checks going on in and around the building. There will be a scavenger hunt going on it. You may communicate with our SRO on FB. You can find the page by searching SW SRO or https://www.facebook.com/lincolnswsilverhawksro Please like the page and share with others.
- Attention Seniors -- time is running out. If you have not ordered a cap and gown, please do so as soon as possible. A list has been posted by the trophy case of those students who have ordered a cap and gown. Please check this list within the next two weeks to verify you have a cap and gown. If you have any questions, please stop by the main office.
- Volunteer Partners is co-sponsoring a Youth Day Camp with the Malone Center on April 3rd, from 7:30am - 5:30pm at the Malone Center. Students are not obligated to stay the entire day if it is not convenient for them. Students who are interested in volunteering for this event are to contact Carletta Griffin by Wednesday, April 1st at 402.435.2100 or email@example.com.
- College of St. Mary is hosting two week-long Summer Academies for Latina and African/African American girls. The academies will focus on Forensic Science and enhance participants' self-esteem and motivation for pursuing a college degree.
Latin Summer Academy (LSA)
Sunday, June 21 - Friday, June 26
For Latina girls entering 10th or 11th grade in Fall 2015
African/African American Summer Academy (AASA)
Sunday, July 12 - Friday, July 17
For African/African American girls entering 10th or 11th grade in Fall 2015
The only cost is $25 registration fee and the remaining expenses are covered by donors. For more information contact Kayla Johnson at 402-399-2410 of firstname.lastname@example.org
TICKETS are on sale now for the SPRING COMEDY - ARSENIC AND OLD LACE. This is a fun filled way to spend your evening as we look in on the antics of two elderly old women, how they "care" for their elderly lodgers and their one nephew who is convinced that he is Teddy Roosevelt. Arsenic and Old Lace is a comedy classic! Tickets are $10 for Adults and $8 for students. LSW STUDENTS can enjoy $5 Thursday! Get your ticket to the Thursday evening performance of ARSENIC for only $5. Stop by the Box Office with your ID and get yours today!
We will be practicing a severe weather drill along with the rest of Lancaster County, Wednesday March 25th. We call this a “shelter” drill, so be asking your teachers where your classroom goes in case of severe weather for the best protection.
SHOS applications are now available from Mrs. Bales in room B204. The application and the teacher references are due by Wednesday April 8th by 3:30p.m. to Mrs. Bales. This is a great way to earn NHS hours in addition to an opportunity to welcome our incoming freshmen. If you have any questions, see Mrs. Bales in room B204. Thank you!
Tickets for the LSW Annual Faculty Basket Ball game hosted by LSW DECA now are on sale. The game is March 24th. Tickets are $5.00 and can be purchasd from any DECA member. Half the ticket sales go to Muscular Dystophy Association.
U.S Representative Jeff Fortenberry and U.S. Senator Deb Fisher Present the 2015 Academy and Military Information Day, Saturday March 28th, 2015 at Lincoln East High School. Doors open at 9:15 a.m. to noon, and the program is at 10:00 a.m. This is an opportunity to learn about the service academy nomination process. Information regarding Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC), Military Tuition Assistance and the National Guard and Reserve forces will also be available. Military Representatives will be available before and after the program.
The College of Education and Human Sciences at UNL is sponsoring a summer academy from July 5-19, 2015 for current high school students who are interested in language learning. All expenses are covered by the program (housing, meals, iPad access during program, supplies). The 2015 STARTALK Chinese Language, Culture and Technology Summer Academy is designed for learners with no or very little knowledge of the Chinese language. The deadline for applications is April 20th. For information see your counselor.
Saturday, April 11 from 9am-1pm is our bi-annual Electronics Recycling Fundraising Drive for the Music Department. If you have done any spring cleaning and have found some old electronics that you want to throw away, bring them to the recycle drive instead! We are going green!
Anything that uses (or once used) electricity can be recycled! The company we use is called "Secure Recyclers" so you can bring your old computers or laptops without worrying about your files or electronic information.
The College of Education and Human Sciences at UNL is sponsoring a summer academy from July 5-19, 2015 for current high school students who are interested in language learning. All expenses are covered by the program (housing, meals, iPad access during program, supplies). The 2015 STARTALK Chinese Language, Culture and Technology Summer Academy is designed for learners with no or very little knowledge of the Chinese language. The deadline for applications is April 20th. For more information, please contact Dr. Aleidine Moeller at email@example.com or Sheri Hurlbut at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NACAC is hosting a national college fair on Saturday, April 18, from 1:00-4:00 at the Century Link Center in Omaha. For more info, visit http://www.nacacnet.org/college-fairs/Pages/default.aspx
We are a non-profit that offers prom dresses and all of the accessories to students for only $20. We want to make sure that each and every girl who wants to go to prom, has the ability to go! Not only do we want to find a dress for every girl, but we want to create an experience she will never forget! We will be starting our Prom Dress nights every weekend in March (Friday 4-7, Saturday 9-5, and Sunday 12-5). Students can make an appointment by calling 402--202-5323 or emailing email@example.com. The Prom closet is located at 643 S 25th Street, Suite 8, Lincoln, NE 68510.
Do you have a talent? Auditions for the annual talent show, Flight Night, are April 1st and 2nd. Sign-up sheets will be posted outside of A114 and E wing after spring break. Flight Night will be April 17th and 18th.
Emeralds tryouts will be held from Wednesday, March 25th- Friday, March 27th after school.
The Lincoln Area College Fair is Sunday, April 19 from 1:00-3:00 p.m. at Southeast Community College in Lincoln. Students who plan to attend are encouraged to register for a barcode at NebraskaCollegeFairs.org. (Note: if students registered for a barcode for a fall fair, they may use it again at this event.) For more information, please visit EducationQuest's link at https://www.educationquest.org/11th-12th-grade-students/selecting-a-college/spring-college-fairs. Don’t miss this opportunity to meet with representatives from colleges across the state and region. If you’re a senior, take one more look at schools before selecting a college. If you’re a junior or sophomore, this is a great way to start your college search process!
Students are reminded to check the LSW Counseling Center website's Student Opportunities page for opportunities such as those listed below:
- Nebraska Cultural Unity Conference
- April 15, 2015 in Kearney, NE